one more topper for all things grilled before the holiday weekend kicks off!
this relish is like a fun salsa with lots of colors and textures. here on pork chops but great over steaks, fish, grilled tofu! even just on chips.
stone fruit and green tomato salad
yield: 2 cups
1 large green tomato, medium diced
1 small plum, medium diced
½ cup cherries, pitted and quartered
1 small spring onion, sliced
¼ cup nicoise olives, rough chopped
1 tablespoon basil, minced
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon sorrel, minced
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon sambal
salt to taste
- for dressing: whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, soy sauce and sambal set aside.
- in a pan with a small amount of oil in the bottom, briefly sauté spring onion slices.
- in a medium bowl mix together diced green tomato, diced plum, cherries, cooked spring onion, olives and herbs. toss with dressing and salt to taste.
- use as a topping to grilled pork chop.
- pork chops were brined in a our basic brine recipe which incorporates the flavor marinade!
basic brine with marinade
yield: 4 quarts; good for 4 large pork chops
15 cup warm water
1 garlic clove, smashed
¾ cup salt
½ cup sugar
½ an orange
¼ cup marinade
- squeeze the orange into warm water and add slice add all ingredients to warm water and whisk until dissolved. brine pork or chicken for at least 8 hours before cooking.