a little boeuf on a cold winter day is the way to go! adding a bit of rub #1 adds some of that little extra sumpin’ sumpin’ … or however one might spell that! 😉
boeuf bourguignon with rub #1
yield: 4 servings
3 tbsp canola oil
2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 2 inch square chunks
2 carrots, peeled and slice
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 tbsp flour
2 cups red wine, full-bodied and dry
2 cups beef stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig thyme, stem removed
1 bay leaf
1 ½ tbsp rub #1
- preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- in a small bowl, toss beef chunks with rub #1, salt and pepper.
- sprinkle with flour and coat thoroughly.
- heat oil in an oven-proof pot over medium heat. carefully add beef and brown on all sides. remove beef and set aside.
- add onions, carrots, garlic, tomato paste and thyme to the pot. saute for 5 minutes. deglaze with wine and allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- add beef stock, bay leaf and return the browned beef to the pot.
- cover pot and place in oven for 3 hours, until beef is fork tender.
- remove from oven.
- strain juices and separate beef from carrots and onions. discard carrots and onions. set beef aside.
- place juice in a small pot and reduce over medium heat until close to gravy consistency.
2 cups fozen pearl onions, defrosted
2 tbsp butter
½ cup beef stock
½ tsp rub #1
- melt butter in a small pot.
- add onions and rub #1 and sauté for 5 minutes.
- add beef stock and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes.
½ lb cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced in ½ inch pieces
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp rub #1
1 large bag papperdelle noodles, cooked to al dente
- melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- add mushrooms and rub #1.
- saute for 5-7 minutes, until tender.
- toss braised beef, pearl onions, sauted mushrooms and sauce together.
- spread over cooked papperdelle noodles and serve.