3.5 cups roughly chopped onions
1/3 cup tomato paste
8 cloves roughly chopped garlic
2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
3 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 ½ teaspoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons malt vinegar
2 ¼ teaspoons soy sauce
2 ½ pounds canned diced tomatoes with juice
3 tablespoons miso
a splash of hot sauce
5 lb ground goat (can also use beef)
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup rosemary aioli*
6 squish squash rolls or dinner rolls
* separate recipe
sloppy goat sauce
- in a large pot heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-low heat.
- add onions and cook them until soft and translucent, taken care not to brown them, about 10 minutes.
- add garlic and tomato paste and cook for two minutes.
- add the tamarind, yellow mustard, dark brown sugar, malt vinegar, soy sauce, tomatoes, miso and hot sauce and simmer for 60 minutes.
- in batches, transfer mixture to a blender and process until very smooth.
- working in batches, brown the goat meat in a large skillet. transfer goat meat to a pot and cover with the sauce. heat over medium low heat and keep warm.
- mix the cabbage and rosemary aioli in a bowl and season with salt.
- toast the buns.
- scoop 8oz of sloppy goat into the bottom buns. top with a handful of the rosemary cabbage slaw and cover with the top bun.