“crepes” with vinaigrette yields 24 crepes 1 cup rice flour ½ cup tapioca flour ½ cup corn starch 2 ¼ cup water ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil ¾ cup fresh lemon juice ½ cup the chee to make batter: thoroughly mix the first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl. let batter rest for at… Read more »
roasted cauliflower serves: 4 people 2 tbsp. canola oil 1 head cauliflower, quartered, outer leaves and core removed and cut into 1/4″ slices 2 tsp salt 3 tbsp. “crunch butter,”* room temp 1/4 c mint, torn into pieces + 1 tbsp set aside 1/4 c pine nuts, toasted + 1 tbsp. set aside 1/2… Read more »
a little boeuf on a cold winter day is the way to go! adding a bit of rub #1 adds some of that little extra sumpin’ sumpin’ … or however one might spell that! 😉 boeuf bourguignon with rub #1 yield: 4 servings braised beef: 3 tbsp canola oil 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into… Read more »
serves 12 for the brine: ½ tablespoon black peppercorn ½ tablespoon fennel seed ½ tablespoon mustard seed ½ tablespoon coriander seed ½ tablespoon red chili flake 4 quarts water 1½ cups salt 2 tablespoons sugar 2 apples, quartered 1 onion, peeled and quartered 5 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled 1 sprig tarragon 1 small piece… Read more »
serves four people one of my favorite dishes here at the goat is our kohlrabi salad with ginger dressing. it is sort of an homage to the classic salad you can get at sushi restaurants, but with yummy nuts and cheese and olives and mint and….in this version- shaved butternut squash (it is just darn… Read more »
girl & the goat magic beans
4 fl oz. oil
green bean dressing
cashews (or another nut if you prefer a different one)
green bean dressing
yields 2 cups
4 oz. lemon juice
5 oz. fish sauce
2 ½ oz. soy
1 tablespoon dijon
3/4 teaspoon sriracha
1/3 oz cloves garlic
combine lemon juice, fish sauce, soy, dijon and sriracha. transfer to blender, add garlic and emulsify with oil.
yield: 1 cup
1/3 cup green bean dressing (from above)
1 cup mayonnaise
1. heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan.
2. add green beans and some sliced shallots for flavor.
3. add enough vinaigrette to coat the green beans. let steam.
4. add a handful or two of cashews for flavor. season with salt.
5. transfer to serving dish & drizzle with aioli.
6. serve hot.
a request came in recently for our kimchee style sauce from the goat. i put this together originally as a marinade for a kimchee made with broccoli stems, nectarines and kohlrabi that we were serving with sauteed skate wing. as fall came along, we tried it on thinly shaved butternut squash with roasted shiitake mushrooms…
Photo © Lucy Lean, Made in America, 2010, used with permission.
sweet potato gratin
2 cup heavy cream
6 oz smokey bleu cheese, chopped
½ tsp chili flakes
½ tsp brown sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
1. in a sauce pot with a heavy bottom, bring the cream to almost a simmer.
2. slowly add the bleu cheese while whisking until just incorporated.
3. whisk in the chili flakes, brown sugar & salt.
4. remove from heat & reserve.
2 ½ lbs sweet potato, peeled & thinly sliced on mandolin
7 oz crispy fried onion
salt to taste
1. toss the potato slices with a pinch of salt.
2. lay 1/3 of the potato slices down in the bottom of a casserole dish and top with 1/3 of the cheese sauce. sprinkle with 1/4th of the onions. repeat to form 3 layers.
3. bake in preheated oven at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes covered and an additional 15 minutes uncovered. cook until the cream has reduced, thickened & gratin is set.
4. remove from oven and finish with the remaining crispy fried onions.
crispy fried onions
1 ea sweet onion, thinly sliced on mandolin
6tb corn starch
6tb corn flour
salt to taste
1. lay onions between towels and allow them to dry for about an hour.
2. in a large rondeaux, pre-heat frying oil to 275 degrees.
3. in a small bowl, whisk corn starch and corn flour together. set aside.
4. toss onions in powder mixture. then, using a fine mash bowl strainer, remove excess powder mixture.
5. slowly drop coated onions in hot oil and cook until golden, while stirring constantly, or for approximately 5 minutes.
6. remove fried onions from oil, and set aside on a cooling rack or a dry towel to remove excess oil.
7. season with salt.
LEMON POACHED EGGPLANT with FRESH RICOTTA lemon poached eggplant yields 4 servings 2 cups lemon juice ½ cup honey 3 cups peeled & sliced eggplant 1. combine the lemon juice & honey in a non-reactive pot. heat over medium-high heat until the honey is melted into the lemon juice. 2. add the eggplant and continue… Read more »